'Chettinadu Mansion, Kanadukathan, Tamil Nadu, India' - by K J S Chatrath

Map sourced from Mansion's website.
I spent two nights in Chettinadu Mansion at Kandukathan in Tamil Nadu earlier in January this year. I took a train from Chennai at night and it reached Kandukathan at 4 am. I had booked accommodation at Chettinadu Mansion for two nights. I came out of the small railway station along with other passengers who alighted from the train- very few in fact. I started looking for a taxi or auto rickshaw. While booking accommodation I had asked if I could be picked up from the railway station. I was told yes, it was possible and the charges would be Rs.500. I had checked on the internet that the hotel was just around 1.5 kms or so from the station. Instead of providing free pick up the hotel wants to make money, I said to myself and did not book a transport, imagining that some convenyance would surely be available at the station. And how wrong I was!
Soon one by one all vehicles left. The last to leave was an SUV with a single passenger. So there I was at 4.10 am outside the railway station alone, alone, all all alone (with apologies to S.T. Coleridge).
And then suddenly something happened. The last SUV which had departed, and I could still see it far away, suddenly took a U turn and started returning. I was a little puzzled. Maybe they have forgotten a piece of luggage, I thought. The vehicle came just where I was standing and a very venerable looking old (I am 77 myself!) gentleman, who was the sole occupant besides the driver, asked me if I was waiting for my taxi. No Sir, I replied politely. I had not booked a taxi so I just don’t know how to reach the hotel. In which hotel are you staying, he asked. I am going to Chettinadu Mansion I told him. Come with me, I am going in the same direction.
Board He told something to the driver in Tamil. The driver got down and helped me with my suitcase. When the vehicle started moving I thanked the benefactor and asked him how much should I pay to the taxi driver. Nothing, he said smilingly, this is not a taxi but my personal car. While chatting with him I came to realize that his house was rather far away from the hotel where I was staying. He dropped me at my hotel. I thanked him again and he left smiling at me.
Founder of the Mansion. ............ Chettinadu Mansion is in existence since 1902. Located in Kandukathan in Tamilnadu, it has been declared as a Heritage Village by Government of India. The Mansion is spread over a 80,000 square feet in area. The Heritage of the Mansion has been carefully protected and just 12 rooms are open to guests who get the privilege of privacy.
I found the accommodation fully respecting the heritage nature of the place. The rooms were neat with provision of making coffee. Bathroom cum toilet was OK.
Before ending a word of praise for the Manager of the Mansion. He was extremely efficient always ready to help.
A brief mention about food. Breakfast was nice and included in the room tariff. I ordered a non-vegetarian dinner one evening. Food was average and to my mind, over-priced.
Disclaimer: I was a full paying occupant at the hotel and did not take any concession or rebate on stay or food.
Resort Address Chettinadu Mansion S.A.R.M. House (Behind Raja's Palace) 11, Ar. Street Kanadukathan – 630103, Near Karaikudi Tamil Nadu, South India Tel - +91 4565 273080, Mob - +91 94434 95598 www.chettinadmansion.com
View from roof of the Chettinadu Mansion

Comments

  1. Management has explained as follows, "Thank you for the blog, the taxi charges are on actuals, we just facilitate the booking. The intention is not to make money but to provide a service."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Some stunning AI portraits by Polish painter Dorota Piotrowiak' - shared by KJS Chatrath

'Unexplained deaths of a number of Indian soldiers & non-combatants in France after Armistice on 11th November 1918' - by K J S Chatrath

Arthuna- a cluster of gems waiting to be 'discovered' - by K J S Chatrath

Total Pageviews