'Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) in Mexico City' - by K J S Chatrath

I planned a trip to Mexio City in October/November 2018 mainly to witness the celeberation of the Day of the Dead. It is sad that we know so little about Mexico- the country and Mexico City. Population of Mexico City at 88.5 lakhs is more than that of New York City and the total population of Mexico City metropolitan areais a whopping 2.2 crores. I am mentioning the poulation with a purpose to which I will come shortly. I had taken a conducteed trip to 5 Central American cities and at the end of which I was to reach Mexico City. And then came thee news which made me nervous.
Ms. Claudia Sheinbaum, Mayor. The Lady Mayor of Mexico City had decided to take a very bold step- which none of her male predecessors had dare to take. She decided to stop all piped water supply in Mexico city for 7 days to get the old rusting pipelines replaced. The period included 4 days that I was to be in Mexico City. I received an urgent mail from the Mexico hotel informing me of the impending waterd problem and offering to cancel my reservation without anydeduction. Ofcourse the hotel assured me that they would keep the necessary water available but one will have to be very miserly with use of water. To go or not to go became the question for me. Ultimately I decided to take the risk and I went to mexico City. I am so glad that I did that as water shortage did not pose any problem. There were some traffic restrictions nd wateer tankers supplied water round the clock. It was quite an impressive achievement. Bravo and respectful salute to the then Lady Mayor.
I stayed in a very modest hostel in Zocalo area. I had chosen that area since the major parade and Catrinas were to be displayed there. And now more about Day of the Dead. We in North India have 'Shradhs' when during a 15 days period we remember our ancestors and do some Puja for them and give donations. But it is a grim and sad occassion unlike Mexico's Day of the Dead.
Known locally as Día de Muertos, this annual tradition is to remember and honor deceased family members. There is a belief that during this time the dead come closer to be with those of us who are living. The Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday celebrated in Mexico and elsewhere associated with the Catholic celebrations of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day, and is held on November 1 and 2. The multi-day holiday involves family and friends gathering to pray for and to remember friends and family members who have died The theme is death, but the endeavor is to demonstrate love and respect for deceased family members. In towns and cities throughout Mexico, revelers don funky makeup and costumes, hold parades and parties, sing and dance, and make offerings to lost loved ones.
While the holiday originated in Mexico, it is celebrated all over Latin America with colorful calaveras (skulls) and calacas (skeletons). One of the most famous skeletons is of Catrina. La Calavera Catrina or Catrina Ljazmun a Calavera Garbancera ('Dapper Skeleton', 'Elegant Skull') is a 1910–1913 zinc etching by the Mexican printmaker, cartoon illustrator and lithographer Jose’ Guadulupe Posada. La Catrina has since become an icon of the Mexican Day of the Dead.
In 2008, UNESCO recognized the importance of Día de los Muertos by adding the holiday to its list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
The centerpiece of the celebration is an altar or ofrenda, built in private homes and cemeteries. These aren’t altars for worshipping; rather, they’re meant to welcome spirits back to the realm of the living. As such, they’re loaded with offerings—water to quench thirst after the long journey, food, family photos, and a candle for each dead relative.
(Text sourced from internet)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My fascination with Madala Panji -the traditional chronicle of the Jagannath Temple, Puri, Odisha.......by K.J.S.Chatrath

'Some stunning AI portraits by Polish painter Dorota Piotrowiak' - shared by KJS Chatrath

Total Pageviews