'Antigua Guatemala, Central America' - by K J S Chatrath

I visited four Central American countries in 2018. Guatemala was one of those. I joined a Group organised by Intrepid Travel (https://www.intrepidtravel.com/en/guatemala/central-american-journey-116317). We were advised by the organisers to report at a hotel in Antigua Guatemala and not in Antigua. On reaching there I sent a mail to my friends announcing my arrival in this lovely part of the world. But the response I got was upsetting. Ah, so you are following the footsteps of the Indian millionaire who has now made Antigua his home. What ignorance, I hissed back. It is time to brush up your general knowledge as well as geography, I snapped back.
Antigua in Spanish means 'ancient'. Antigua Gutemala is the ancient capital of Gutemala. Decades ago the capital was shifted from here to Guatemala Town, about 25 kms away, because of a devastating earthquake. Antigua, where the Indian millionaire has reportedly taken citizenship is a country in the West Indies. O.K.?
The name 'Guatemala' originates from a word meaning 'place of many trees'. The main language spoken in Guatemala today is Spanish. There are 21 other Mayan dialects spoken in Guatemala. The current population of Guatemala is 17,490,772 as of Saturday, March 30, 2019. The currency of Guatemala is Guatemalan Quetzal. It is named after the national bird- Resplendent Quetzal. It is said that in ancient Mayan times, the feathers of this bird were used as currency. One other interesting fact about Guatemala is that Blue denim comes from this country! National bird of Guatemala- Resplendent Quetzal (Photo source Wikipedia).
Antigua is a small city, with a population of about 50,000, surrounded by volcanoes in southern Guatemala. It’s renowned for its Spanish colonial buildings, many of them restored following a 1773 earthquake that ended Antigua’s 200-year reign as Guatemala’s colonial capital. Notable architectural examples include baroque La Merced church.
The name 'Guatemala' originates from a word meaning 'place of many trees'. The main language spoken in Guatemala today is Spanish. There are 21 other Mayan dialects spoken in Guatemala. The current population of Guatemala is 17,490,772 as of Saturday, March 30, 2019. The currency of Guatemala is Guatemalan Quetzal. It is named after the national bird- Resplendent Quetzal. It is said that in ancient Mayan times, the feathers of this bird were used as currency. One other interesting fact about Guatemala is that Blue denim comes from this country!
The local beer was not amongst the best that I have tasted around the world...
I noticed a lady supplying these tortillos to various restaurants in town at the time of breakfast.
Very colourful and very good looking lunch...and if I may add- very bland too! Now, now, that is creativity...
Modest but very pretty hotel where I stayed: suites@elcarmenhotel.com 9 Calle Poniente #17, La Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala. (Text based on inputs from the internet.) ..... May I request you to take a look at my earlier post: 'A Guatemalan breakfast at Antigua Guatemala, Central America' - by KJS Chatrath .http://fiftyplustravels.blogspot.com/2018/11/a-guatemalan-breakfast-at-antigua.html ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My fascination with Madala Panji -the traditional chronicle of the Jagannath Temple, Puri, Odisha.......by K.J.S.Chatrath

'Some stunning AI portraits by Polish painter Dorota Piotrowiak' - shared by KJS Chatrath

Total Pageviews